Fact Sheet - Who is Innovene?
Innovene is the 5th largest petrochemical and polymer company in the world with a turnover of USD 25bn (2005e), operating on 19 sites in Europe and North America with 8,000 employees and total assets of USD 12bn. Two thirds of the turnover is in Europe; most of the rest is in N America.
Olefins and polyolefins form the major part of the portfolio. The other product groups are acrylonitrile, alpha olefins, styrenics and solvents (which includes ethylene oxide & derivatives). Olefins production is supported by feedstocks from Innovene’s two oil refineries, at Grangemouth in Scotland and Lavéra in France. In the USA, Innovene extracts its own ethylene feedstock from natural gas.
Products,End use applications, Capacity in 2005 (ktpa)
Olefins & co-products - Polymer production, intermediates -6,650
Polyethylene (HDPE, LDPE, LLDPE) Packaging films & containers, extrusion coating / cable insulation, pipes
Polypropylene Fibres, films & packaging, carpets, bottles, pipes, automotive
Solvents & Industrial Chems includes EO) Detergents, water-based paints, cosmetics and polyester
Styrene, polystyrene, EPS Packaging and construction
Acrylonitrile Fibres for furnishings and apparel;
high performance plastics and rubber 1,200
Alpha Olefins Lubricants, polymers, plasticizers,
detergents, petroleum additives
Total Polymers & Petrochemicals
Refined Products Transportation and heating
Sites & Products :
- Cologne, Gerrmany - Olefins & co-products. HD, LLD & LD polyethylene, polypropylene, acrylonitrile, ethylene oxide & derivatives, propylene oxide.
- Grangemouth,UK - Olefins & co-products. HD & LLD polyethylene polypropylene, ethanol
- Chocolate Bayou,USA - Olefins, polypropylene
- Lavera, France - Refinery products, olefins & co-products. HD polyethylene, polypropylene, ethylene oxide & divatives, PIB
- Battleground, USA - HD polyethylene, polypropylene
- Lillo, Belgium - HD polyethylene, polypropylene
- Gee, Belgium - Polypropylene
- Sarralbe,France - HD polyethylene, polypropylene
- Carson, USA - Polypropylene
- Rosignano, Italy - HD polyethylene
- Cedar Bayou, USA - HD polyethylene
- Green Lake, USA - Acrylonitrile
- Lima, USA - Acrylonitrile
- Feluy, Belgium - Alpha olefins
- Joffre, Canada- Alpha olefins
- Texas City, USA - Styrene, polypropylene
- Marl, Germany - Styrene, polystyrene, EPS
- Wingles, France - Polystyrene, EPS
- Trelleborg, Sweden - Polystyrene, EPS
Innovene’s global headquarters is in Chicago. The company’s European headquarters in Staines, near London, controls its olefins and polymer businesses in Europe as well as its refineries in Grangemouth and Lavéra. Its base for the olefins and polymer businesses in North America is in the Greater Houston area and its Asian headquarters is in Shanghai.
Innovene’s stated core values are similar to those of INEOS:
- To run a safe, environmentally-sound and ethical business
- To promote continuous improvement and innovation
- To be a performance driven organization, supported by individual accountability
- To be the supplier of choice to targeted customers
- To support the principles of diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- To provide a rewarding environment that develops and prepares employees for the future
- To enhance current processes and to incorporate the best practices
The CEO is Ralph Alexander, who joined BP/Sohio in 1982. Since then, he has worked in a variety of roles in BP, including Vice President, Gulf of Mexico, CEO of Air BP and group Vice President responsible for new markets development. His most recent post was CEO of BP’s Gas, Power & Renewables segment.
Until the deal is closed, Ralph Alexander and his management team will continue to run Innovene, following which INEOS will review the structure and management going forward.