We place great store in being a respectful and valued neighbour in all the communities around our sites.
It is fundamental to our License to Operate, and helps ensure the health and sustainability of both the communities we work in and our operations.
This takes many forms, including:
- Communicating proactively and openly with the communities we operate in about the work we do and the products we make.
- Disposing of our waste safely and striving to ensure zero loss of containment of our products into the natural environment. This includes our strict Zero Pellet Loss programme.
- Collaborating with neighbouring companies around our sites, e.g. forming strong industrial clusters in Antwerp (Belgium), Koln (Germany), Lavéra (France), Grangemouth, Hull (UK) and Norway. These bring together local businesses to share resources, infrastructure and utility services for maximum efficiency, and allow us to also optimize our positive impact on surrounding communities.
- Working alongside local schools and colleges in promoting science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). We are keen to help inspire the next generation of engineers and work to bring the school curriculum to life through site visits and ‘employees in the classroom’.
- Supporting local charitable initiatives with funding and employee volunteer hours.
- Sponsoring local sports teams and encouraging physical activity in the community for improved health and wellbeing. For instance, our “GO Run For Fun” children’s running programme has now held 444 free fun run events at primary schools around INEOS sites, inspiring over 334,000 children to get healthy and active with friends.
Through our programmes, partnerships and philanthropic donation, INEOS supports a diverse range of health, education, conservation and grassroots sport initiatives. These include our recent donation of £100m to Oxford University to tackle the global health threat of antimicrobial resistance, and our support of The Daily Mile which now sees over 3 million school children around the world run every day for improved health and wellbeing.
You can find out more about these initiatives below.