Our business began with purified terephthalic acid (PTA) in 1956 when Amoco acquired the Mid-Century technology. Leadership in the technology started in the early 1960s when the purification process was invented and key patents were filed by Amoco. bp continued building and operating PTA units for over 50 years around the world, as well as licensing its technology. 76% of all capacity built with our technology is still operating today in locations across the globe. Our first PTA plant was built in Decatur USA in 1967, followed by a plant in Geel Belgium in 1969 and in 1978, the world’s largest PTA facility at the time in Cooper River, USA. Plants in Asia followed, first in Taiwan with China American Petrochemical Co Ltd (CAPCO) in 1979, then PT Amoco Mitsui PTA Indonesia in 1997 and three plants in Zhuhai, China in 2003, Z1 (subsequently closed), 2008, Z2 (expanded and upgraded in ’12) and 2015, Z3 with the latter becoming the lowest cost plant in the group. More recently capacity and technology of the plants in Geel (2015) and Cooper River (2017) were enhanced.
Our proprietary PTA technology has gone through multiple upgrades over the last several decades. We have continually reduced the conversion costs of our existing PTA assets, applying new technology and lessons learned across our global PTA network.
We also produce PX using proprietary technology first deployed in 1967. Through the years our business has continued to invest in the development and improvement of this technology.
INEOS acquired BPs Aromatics business and its technology in 2020.
 United States Patent Office 3,238,849 Patented Nov. 29, 1966 3,288,849 PROCESS FOR PURIFYING TEREPHTHALIC ACID Delbert H. Meyer, Highland, Ind., assignor to Standard Oil Company, Chicago