INEOS is committed to advancing towards sustainable chemical value chains with zero pollution.
We require that our suppliers do the same through our Supplier Code of Conduct. We have a company-wide REACH network in place to ensure excellence in product stewardship, meeting all regulatory requirements and identifying opportunities to substitute hazardous substances for more sustainable alternatives.
INEOS monitors its pollution through a company-wide data platform and is committed to complying with all regulations governing pollution and implementing measures across its sites to reduce environmental and social impacts of pollution.
AVOIDING POLLUTION TO AIR, WATER, AND SOIL
Safe handling and containment of chemicals and products is of critical importance to INEOS. Our processes, operating procedures and working practices are designed to secure containment of all products and raw materials. The loss of containment of any materials is extremely rare, but any accidental emission of material is reported to the authorities according to the local regulations. To avoid or keep such risk to a minimum, we closely monitor all systems. We have internal reporting systems in place that trigger online reporting and full internal investigation when there is any loss of containment that is 10% of the reportable level. We call these LOC10s.
Through monitoring and taking corrective action in response to LOC10s, we have reduced the frequency of minor losses significantly over the last eight years. This includes:
- Operating according to Best Available Techniques (BAT): INEOS sites adhere to industry-leading practices and technologies, known as Best Available Techniques, to minimise pollution.
- Monitoring emissions to air, water, and soil: robust monitoring systems are in place to measure emissions to detect issues or potential risks, allowing for timely corrective actions.
- Assessing pollution-related risks: our sites conduct risk assessments to identify potential sources of pollution and prioritise prevention measures and mitigation strategies.
- Observing strict procedures in case of incidents: in the event of an incident, we have well-defined procedures in place at our sites to contain the situation and provide appropriate remediation.
- Communicating internally and with authorities: INEOS shares information internally and with local authorities to learn from incidents, disseminate best practices, and comply fully with regulations, facilitating continuous improvement across the company.
PREVENTING POLLUTION IN THE VALUE CHAIN
INEOS is committed to advancing towards zero pollution in its value chains.
We consider it a priority to prevent chemical pollution downstream of our operations through effective product stewardship and sustainable product innovation. We also expect all our partners to comply with relevant environmental laws, use resources responsibly, and minimise negative impacts relating to pollution. As outlined in our Supplier Code of Conduct, we require our suppliers to manage their emissions to air, water, and soil, and follow Responsible Care principles when managing chemicals. Suppliers are also required to participate in the Operation Clean Sweep initiative if they handle plastic pellets
For sustainability initiatives we have signed up to, please click on the below link: