INEOS Aromatics reduces CO2 emissions and increases capacity with $70 million modernization of PTA facility in Merak, Indonesia
- Increases the site capacity by 15% from 500,000 tons to 575,000 tons per annum
- Reduces CO2 emissions by 15% per tonne
- Demonstrates INEOS Aromatics’ commitment to the growth of the Indonesian polyester industry
INEOS Aromatics has completed a $70 million modernisation of its purified terephthalic acid (PTA) plant in Merak, Indonesia, that significantly reduces emissions and increases capacity, supporting the competitiveness and growth of the Indonesian polyester industry.
The installation of a larger oxidation reactor, reconfiguration of the reactor’s heat recovery system and revamp of the process air compressor train will both reduce CO2 emissions per ton by 15% and increase the site capacity by 15%, from 500,000 tonnes to 575,000 tonnes per annum.
PTA is used by the polyester industry to produce items for homes and businesses such as clothes, furniture, food & drink packaging and other industrial uses.
The investment will also improve the reliability and competitiveness of the plant, increasing the availability of PTA for the Indonesian market and the use of local content in fabric produced in the country.
"The INEOS Aromatics facility in Merak has played an important role in the Indonesia polyester industry for some time. This new, multi-million dollar investment shows our commitment to its future growth," says Frank Yang, President Director, INEOS Aromatics Indonesia.
"It also continues INEOS Aromatics’ tradition of deploying technology that helps lead the polyester industry to a more sustainable future," he adds. "It supports INEOS’ commitment to producing essential products while reducing emissions to net zero by 2050."
The plant modernisation was completed safely amidst the COVID-19 pandemic that affected the movement of people and materials during the process. Frank adds, "We thank everyone who participated in the project, surrounding communities, and regulators in providing the support needed to complete the project safely."
The Merak plant has been operating for nearly 25 years and is a major PTA supplier in Indonesia. It became part of INEOS, as part of its $5 billion acquisition of the bp petrochemicals business in January 2021, extending both its portfolio and geographical reach.
More on INEOS Aromatics
- Visit https://www.ineos.com/businesses/ineos-aromatics/
- Visit YouTube to learn more about INEOS Aromatics and its tradition of world-leading PTA production
- Visit YouTube to learn more about INEOS Aromatics’ Infinia technology, which could create the potential to recycle PET plastic over and over again
- INEOS Aromatics is a leading, global producer of PTA (purified terephthalic acid) and PX (paraxylene), with production facilities in Texas City (US), Cooper River (US), Geel (Belgium), Merak (Indonesia), Taichung (Taiwan) and Zhuhai (Mainland China)
- INEOS is a global manufacturer of petrochemicals, speciality chemicals and oil products. Comprising 36 individual businesses, it operates 194 facilities in 29 countries throughout the world. In recent years its scope of operations has diversified with the launch of INEOS Automotive and INEOS Hygienics, acquisition of iconic British brand Belstaff and an ever-expanding sports portfolio. INEOS products are essential in the modern world, supporting a wide range of end-market applications to save lives, improve health and enhance standards of living
Alistair Shaw (Alistair.email@example.com) 07817 45 88 65
Richard Longden (Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org) 0041 21 627 7063 or 0041 7996 26123
Andrew McLachlan (email@example.com) 07931 377162
Alex Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org) 07793 20732