INEOS to acquire BP's global aromatics & acetyls business.
- INEOS has announced its intention to acquire BP’s global Aromatics and Acetyls business for a consideration of $5 billion.
- The business consists of 15 sites across the world (5 in the Americas, 2 in Europe and 8 in Asia) as well as 10 leading joint ventures
- Aromatics provides the building blocks for the global polyester industry, key to fibres, films and packaging. Acetyls support a wide range of downstream industries in food flavouring and preservation, pharmaceuticals, paints, adhesives and packaging.
- INEOS will acquire a range of world class assets and an experienced team of people.
- The deal is a good fit with INEOS existing asset base, reintegrating the Hull site and expanding the existing INEOS footprint at Geel, Belgium.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe, founder and chairman of INEOS says, “We are delighted to acquire these top-class businesses from BP, extending the INEOS position in global petrochemicals and providing great scope for expansion and integration with our existing business.”
INEOS, one of the world’s largest manufacturing companies, has today announced its intention to purchase the global Aromatics and Acetyls businesses of BP for a consideration of $5 billion. $4 billion will be payable upon completion with the remaining $1 billion deferred until, at the latest, June 2021.
INEOS is already one of the world’s leading petrochemical companies and this acquisition will extend both the portfolio and the geographic reach of the business. The Aromatics business is a global leader in PTA (Purified Terephthalic Acid) and PX (Paraxylene) technology with 6 sites and supplies the global polyester business which includes polyester fibre, film and PET packaging. The Acetyls business with 9 sites produces acetic acid and a range of derivatives supplying a wide range of downstream industries such as food, pharmaceuticals, paints, adhesives and packaging.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe, founder and chairman of INEOS adds, “This acquisition is a logical development of our existing petrochemicals business extending our interest in acetyls and adding a world leading aromatics business supporting the global polyester industry.
Note to editors.
INEOS Styrolution will be the acquirer of the BP businesses.
Richard Longden (INEOS) 0041 21 627 7063 or 0041 7996 26123
Mark Killick (Media Zoo) 020 7052 4838 or 07836 634449
Andrew McLachlan (Media Zoo) 020 7384 6980 or 07931 377162