Commitment to safe & sustainable products
We recognize that in today’s world making a commitment to environmental responsibility means more than reducing the environmental impacts of our finished products themselves. It also involves understanding and ensuring the effective management of safety, health and environmental risks during the discovery, development, manufacture, use and disposal of our products.
At INEOS Composites, Product Stewardship includes:
- A global management system to deliver excellence in product stewardship and meet required local, regional and business specific standards.
- Continual improvement of products to avoid potential problems before they become human or environmental hazards.
- Hazard identification systems that take advantage of available information.
- Risk-based process for identifying, understanding and prioritizing concerns and managing chemicals in commerce.
- Risk reduction measures, including limitations on use or even phase-outs of specific uses of chemicals where unacceptable risks are not otherwise manageable in a manner that is appropriate for the risks and mindful of the benefits of a particular chemical in the context of its use.
- Transparent flow of information throughout the value chain (e.g., suppliers, manufacturers, customers, waste vendors, etc.), so that manufacturers and users can understand and manage risk, and provide meaningful and relevant information to their respective stakeholders.
- Public availability of hazard, exposure and risk information.
INEOS Composites offers quality products and services that provide added value to its customers. These products can be used and processed, and services performed, in a safe manner. Product stewardship summaries are provided to the public via the INEOS Composites website and give more information about certain chemicals contained in various products. INEOS Composites strives to improve the products it sells by reducing product risk associated with use or consumption, while maintaining value derived by the customer.
INEOS Composites reviews its products for potential impact to safety, health and environment. These reviews help identify adverse effects on human health and the environment from exposure during each stage of the product life cycle. All products are assessed for improvement opportunities at each stage of the product’s life cycle as indicated below:
|Development of product concept||x|
|Research and development||x|
|Marketing and promotion||x|
|Storage, distribution and supply||x|
|Use and service||x|
|Disposal, reuse or recycling||x|
Product Service and Labeling
INEOS Composites provides the following information for all significant products where subject to national laws.
|Sourcing of components||x|
|Content that might produce environmental impact||x|
|Safe use of product||x|
|Disposal of products and impacts||x|
All INEOS Composites’ products must comply with applicable hazard communication requirements, including labeling and Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) for all countries in which it sells products. INEOS Composites’ hazard communication system supports 41 languages for these documents.
In addition, INEOS Composites provides customer-service support when additional handling or safety information is requested. INEOS Composites also provides regulatory and safety data for many products via regulatory data sheets and toxicological summaries and provides the public with product stewardship summaries for priority chemicals, which are available on the website.
For hazardous or high-volume chemicals that are not available in the chemical product stewardship summaries, additional information can be found here. This information comes from INEOS Composites registration dossiers submitted to European Chemicals Agency for the purpose of REACH compliance.
INEOS Composites is also compliant with all country chemical inventory control laws, including REACH regulations in the European Union. REACH requires companies to make health and environmental assessments for the chemicals they produce. The two main requirements of REACH are to determine the hazards of chemicals and to carry out comprehensive risk-assessments to protect human health and the environment.
INEOS Composites also has a significant program underway to ensure compliance with the Globally Harmonized System for Classification and Labeling (GHS), which has been implemented in many countries around the world. U.S. implementation was required by June 1, 2015.
Product Stewardship Summaries
Acetic Acid Glacial Bisphenol A Epoxy Diacrylate Dicyclopentadiene Diesel Fuel #2 Dimethyl methylphosphonate Dimethylformamide Dipropyleneglycol diacrylate Epichlorohydrin Ethanol Ethyl Acetate 2-Ethylhexyl acrylate Ethylhexanol-2 Ethylene Oxide Formaldehyde Furfuryl Alcohol Diacrylate Heptane Hexamethylenediamine Hydrochloric Acid Hydroquinone Isopropanol Hexanediol Maleic Anhydride Methylene Diisocyanate Phenol Phosphonic Acid Propylene Oxide 2-Pyrrolidinone, 1-cyclohexyl- 2-Pyrrolidinone, 1-dodecyl- 2-Pyrrolidinone, 1-octyl- Styrene Talc Tripropyleneglycol diacrylate Vinylpyrrolidone
The Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling (GHS)
The Globally Harmonized System (GHS) was developed to promote a universal standard for hazard classification and hazard communication around the world. The system was developed by various technical working groups following a mandate from the United Nations that such a system be developed and made available. It is gradually being adopted by regulatory authorities throughout the world. However, the standard is not compulsory, and participating countries are allowed to adopt only portions of it.
INEOS Composites has already implemented the GHS in many countries and regions, like the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Europe, and China. Visit the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) website for an up to date overview of the worldwide GHS adoption status per country.
Developing innovative, sustainable products is important to INEOS Composites and our customers. Our chemistries and ingredients are at work in numerous industries.
Our customers who want and need sustainable alternatives collaborate with INEOS Composites to develop and deliver innovative solutions that help them create more sustainable end-use products and to meet their own sustainability goals.
Below are a few examples of INEOS Composites sustainably advantaged products.
- Envirez™ resin is the first commercially available unsaturated polyester resin (UPR) containing a significant quantity of renewable materials. Envirez resins are manufactured using an innovative patented process that incorporates a variety of renewably sourced raw materials in the formulation. The product line has been expanded to include resins with recycled content to provide for a large number of more sustainable resin options.
- Derakane™ offers proven excellence in corrosion-resistant, fiberglass-reinforced plastic applications, including exceptional durability, superior heat-resistance, low maintenance and high performance for even the most challenging environments. INEOS Composites is the largest global supplier of specialty corrosion resins.