OUR VALUES AND APPROACH
- INEOS is committed to minimising the negative impact of its operations on people and planet while advancing sustainability in society at large.
- We support the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals and apply the principles of the UN Global Compact and Responsible Care Global Charter throughout our operations.
- We strive to avoid any harm to employees, local communities, and customers, while moving towards climate neutrality, circularity, and zero pollution in our value chains, and minimising negative impacts on water scarcity and biodiversity.
- We aim to meet or exceed all SHEQ regulatory requirements and we recognise our obligation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions consistently with the targets in the Paris Agreement.
- We integrate SHEQ into our management systems as a priority, identifying potential impacts, monitoring performance against targets, and setting SHEQ goals for employees to ensure continual improvement.
- We communicate transparently about our SHEQ performance and update our SHEQ policies in consultation with employees and wider stakeholders.
- We plan to reduce our operational greenhouse gas emissions by 33% by 2030 (compared to 2019) and reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
- We plan to invest over €2 billion in the production of green hydrogen and increase the share of green power in our electricity mix by 10% by 2030 (compared to 2019).
- We plan to increase the circularity of our plastics operations by 2025 by
- Offering polyolefin products for packaging applications with at least 50% recycled content;
- Using 30% recycled content (on average) in products for polystyrene packaging in Europe;
- Using at least 325 kt of recycled material in our products;
- Ensuring 100% of our polymer products can be recycled; And advance these targets by 2030 before end 2022.
- We plan to have 80% of our suppliers signed up to our Supplier Code of Conduct.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
INEOS is committed to protecting the health and safety of the people on our sites, the people in our value chains, and the people in our local communities.
We have a company-wide management system in place to prevent and deal with safety incidents. All our businesses are required to operate in accordance with INEOS’ 7 Life Saving Rules and 20 Principles of behavioural and process safety. This includes checking asset integrity and testing emergency plans and protective systems on a regular basis. Our businesses are also expected to follow detailed best practice set out in INEOS Group Guidance Notes, which meet or exceed ISO standards.
Every year, all INEOS sites are audited and each business must submit a letter of assurance to INEOS’ shareholders detailing its compliance with these standards. Performance is also reviewed regularly throughout the year at board and shareholder level and executive bonuses are contingent upon achieving annual health and safety targets, which encourages continual improvement.
All employees, contractors, and visitors to INEOS sites receive SHE training, and we have company-wide networks and monitoring systems in place to share best practice and learn from incidents and near-misses. All employees have health and safety objectives set in their annual reviews and are subject to strict disciplinary action (including dismissal) if they breach rules. To promote general physical and mental health, INEOS employees also have access to our Energy Station platform, which provides information on fitness and wellbeing.
We protect health and safety in our value chains by providing information and assistance to our customers on the safe management of chemicals and by requiring our suppliers to follow Responsible Care principles via our Supplier Code of Conduct.
CLIMATE AND ENERGY
INEOS is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions in accordance with the Paris Agreement and has a company-wide GHG management system in place to reduce emissions to net-zero by 2050. All our businesses monitor and report emissions in accordance with the GHG Protocol and are required to have emissions reduction roadmaps. Progress with roadmaps is regularly reviewed at board and shareholder meetings and executive bonuses are contingent upon meeting emissions reduction targets.
INEOS seeks to minimise energy-related emissions by switching to clean energy and optimising energy use. Our sites conduct regular energy audits and have energy management systems in place in line with ISO 50001 to continually improve energy efficiency. We also pursue opportunities to reduce emissions through feedstock switching and CCUS.
CIRCULARITY AND RESOURCE EFFICIENCY
INEOS is committed to playing its part in the transition to a circular economy where resources are used optimally and waste is eliminated. We have set targets to incorporate recycled content into our plastics and ensure all our plastic products are recyclable. We are investing in advanced recycling technologies to recycle waste that is not suitable for mechanical recycling and we take part in end-of-life recycling initiatives in our value chains.
INEOS seeks to optimise resource efficiency and minimise waste at its own sites by following the principles of the waste hierarchy. Our sites track their resource and waste footprint and have environmental management systems in place in line with ISO 14001 to identify and implement opportunities to reduce material consumption and valorise waste and byproducts.
POLLUTION AND SUSTAINABLE CHEMISTRY
INEOS is committed to advancing towards sustainable chemical value chains with zero pollution. We apply the principles of Responsible Care throughout our operations when handling chemicals and participate in the Operation Clean Sweep initiative to prevent leakage of plastic pellets. We require our suppliers to do the same through our Supplier Code of Conduct. We have a company-wide REACH network in place to ensure we deliver excellence in product stewardship, meeting all regulatory requirements and identifying opportunities to substitute hazardous substances for more sustainable alternatives.
INEOS seeks to minimise emissions to air, soil, and water at sites and is committed to disposing of hazardous waste safely in full compliance with regulations. Our sites monitor their waste emissions and have environmental management systems in place in line with ISO 14001 to identify and implement opportunities to reduce emissions.
WATER SUSTAINABILITY AND WASH
INEOS is committed to using water sustainably and recognises the human right to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene services (WASH). We strive to protect water as a scarce resource, reduce emissions to water, and continually improve our water efficiency in the communities in which we operate.
INEOS considers it a priority to discharge waste water in full compliance with regulations and avoid groundwater contamination. We have a company-wide system in place to monitor our water withdrawals and discharges, and our sites have environmental management systems in place in line with ISO 14001 to identify and implement opportunities to improve sustainable water management, such as through recycling process water. INEOS ensures that all employees, contractors, and visitors to our locations have access to safe drinking water, sanitation, and hygiene facilities.
BIODIVERSITY AND ECOSYSTEMS
INEOS recognises the importance of biodiversity to healthy ecosystems that support life on Earth and we endorse the UN Sustainable Development Goals that relate to the preservation of biodiversity.
We work to minimise our negative impacts on biodiversity through managing our emissions to air, soil, and water, using natural resources efficiently, transitioning to sustainable chemical value chains, and assessing biodiversity impacts of developments. We also undertake wildlife conservation projects.
INEOS is committed to supplying products of the highest standard that fully meet customer requirements and we strive to provide excellent customer service. This commitment lies at the foundation of INEOS' values and is essential to our sustained growth and success. We base our quality management system on the international ISO 9001 standard, incorporating customer feedback to continually improve our quality performance.
Our code can be downloaded below: