History

Our History

Here is a brief history of our business purchases and achievements

Project announces to replace ageing steam and power plant with a new energy plant (NEP)

 INEOS announces acquisition of the Forties Pipeline System from BP

2017

Restart of KG’s second manufacturing train following mothballing in 2008

Commissioning of the ethane storage tank

First Dragon ship delivery of US shale gas ethane

O&P UK HQ opens (12 months after construction began)

2016

INEOS raises the roof on the ethane tank

Agreement with Shell ExxonMobil to supply US shale gas ethane from Grangemouth to the Fife Ethylene Plant (FEP) in Mossmorran announced

BAM Construction appointed

INEOS Grangemouth awards contract to construct the new business HQ for the O&P UK business

2015

Piling works for the ethane tank commence

Planning permission for ethane tank granted

Go run for Fun first event in Scotland takes place close to the Grangemouth site

2014

Plans are announced to build an ethane terminal at Grangemouth

2013

INEOS O&P UK business is formed (out of O&P Europe) consisting of the O&P activities on the Grangemouth site and the Wilton liquefaction unit

2012
5050.png

INEOS’ refining business entered in a joint venture (50:50) with Petrochina. The new company, PetroIneos, owns and operates the refinery at Grangemouth

2011

BP sells INNOVENE to INEOS; the refinery installs a second sulphur recovery unit (SRU)

Legal entity Innovene (O&D) formed by BP with a view to an IPO

2005

BP announces divestment of its Olefins and Derivative (O&D) business

2004

Second ethanol plant commissioned

2002
sitehalf.png

Further expansion of the KG ethylene plant

2001

Polypropylene plant (PP3) commissioned

2000

Expansion of the KG ethylene plant

1997

Hydrofiner plant built in the refinery to produce ultra low sulphur fuel

1996
dumpertruck.png

KG ethylene plant constructed

1993

Sulphur recovery unit constructed in the refinery

1991
pipes2.png

Mossmorran to Grangemouth pipelines constructed

1985

Ethylene pipeline built

1978

GTU/Benzene plant commissioned

1977

First North Sea oil flowed to Grangemouth

1975
crane.png

Refinery hydrocracker complex built

1969

First shipment of polyethylene from the site

1958
1tonne.png

Our pipeline from Finnart Ocean terminal on the west coast, capable of receiving larger tankers, first imported crude oil in 1951. First tonne of ethylene produced at Grangemouth

1951

First chemicals’ plant built to take advantage of feedstocks

1949

Major expansion of refinery

1947

Refinery shut-down during WW2

1940
sitehalf.png

BP was persuaded by Scottish Oils to locate a refinery near Grangemouth rather than in North-East England Scottish Oils; a throughput of 360,000 tons per year

1924

Glasgow scientist Dr James “Paraffin” Young took out a patent for ‘treating bituminous coals to obtain paraffine therefrom’. The first oil works in the world were opened in Bathgate in 1851 producing oil from shale or coal.

1850