INEOS moves into UK shale gas exploration
INEOS has been building up a team of specialists in shale gas exploration and development, including some of the world’s leading experts
The licence covers the area surrounding the Grangemouth refining and petrochemical complex where infrastructure is being built to import Shale Gas Ethane from the USA
INEOS is one of very few companies able to use Shale Gas as both a fuel and a feedstock
Gary Haywood, CEO of INEOS Upstream, says, This is a logical next step for INEOS and we are very excited about it. With our large UK asset base, existing operating capabilities and exemplary safety and environmental record, we are well placed to become a major player in the UK onshore gas production sector
INEOS, the world’s fourth largest chemicals company, has today announced it is making its first move into the shale exploration arena, with the purchase of a 51% share of the shale section of a joint Petroleum Exploration and Development Licence (PEDL) in the UK.
The PEDL 133 licence covers 329 square kilometres of the Midland Valley of Scotland which includes INEOS’ Grangemouth refining and petrochemical complex and the area around it.
Gary Haywood, CEO of INEOS Upstream, says; We are very pleased to have agreed the purchase of 51% of the shale section of the PEDL 133 licence. Over the last year INEOS Upstream has been drawing together a team of experts in the Sector, including a number of leading shale exploration and development specialists from the US. This expertise gives us the perfect platform to move into onshore exploration.
INEOS Upstream, the company’s new oil and gas exploration and production business, has bought the 51% share from BG Group. The other 49% share of the shale section licence is owned by exploration company, Dart Energy.
INEOS is currently engaged in a $600 million project to bring Shale Gas Ethane from the USA to its petrochemical plants in Scotland and Norway.
Gary Haywood adds, This is a logical next step for INEOS and we are very excited about it. We are one of very few businesses that can use Shale Gas as both a fuel and a petrochemical feedstock. With our large UK asset base, our existing capabilities in operating oil and gas facilities and our exemplary safety and environmental record, INEOS is well placed to become a major player in the UK onshore gas production sector.
Richard Longden (INEOS): 0041 21 627 7063 or 0041 7996 26123
Mark Killick (Media Zoo): 020 7384 6980 or 07836 634449
Andrew McLachlan (Media Zoo): 020 7384 6980 or 07931 377162
Hannah Brandstaetter (Media Zoo): 020 7384 6980 or 07896 776554
* This acquisition is subject to normal DECC and operator consultation and approvals.