Continuous improvement in energy efficiency and reduction of carbon emissions is in our "DNA". It makes for a cleaner environment, reduces our use of resources, and makes our business economically more sustainable.
Optimisation projects vary widely, from finding new ways of improving process efficiency to innovative solutions for heat or power integration, including waste heat valorisation and more selective catalysts for processes. For instance, we have projects in the following areas:
- efficiency of power plants, e.g. at our Grangemouth site
- optimisation of steam networks at all sites with significant steam consumption
- integration of new technologies, e.g. mechanical vapour recompression at our Tavaux site
- electrification of low-temperature processes, as planned in Antwerp
- minimisation of waste heat from processes
- recovery and reuse of off-gasses in utilities, e.g. at Chocolate Bayou
- reduction of flaring, as planned in Lavera, Grangemouth and many of our sites
- cooling tower optimisation
- advanced process control, e.g. distillation columns at our Sarnia site in Canada
- catalyst improvements
Opportunities for improvement are identified and implemented by each INEOS business and site. As is true for our management of safety, we also review overall progress across INEOS, nregularly with our owners and through our Climate & Energy Network.